- Diffuse Potentially Dangerous Situations
- Lessen Stress At Work And At Home
- Enhance The Employees Reputation
- Enhance The Organizations Reputation
- Decrease Vicarious Liability
- Enhance The Ability To Articulate In All Arenas
WHAT IS VERBAL JUDO?
Verbal Judo, or Tactical Communication, enables healthcare employees to focus on the behavior of other's while
maintaining their own and others safety and then use Appropriate Presence and Words to achieve a professional
Verbal Judo, like Judo itself, uses the energy of others to master situations. It contains a set of communication
principles and tactics that enable the user to generate cooperation and gain voluntary compliance from others under stressful
conditions. These tactics are especially useful when dealing with hostile, angry, upset, frustrated or disgruntled people.
Verbal Judo teaches a philosophy of how to look creatively at conflict, offering specific, powerful, and usable
strategies to resolve tense situations. Healthcare professionals will learn to respond to situations rather than react to
personal feelings. Additionally employees will come to understand how to deal with difficult people and how to use conflict
management tactics to diffuse confrontational encounters.
The course has precisely defined training goals that address concerns important to both the organization and its
individual employees. They are:
SAFETY: Employees use words to prevent confrontations from becoming violent situations, reducing the potential
injury to employees and those with whom they interact.
ENHANCED PROFESSIONALISM: Employees recognize the impact their words have on others and use language appropriate
to each encounter. Employees perform professionally, thus creating a positive organizational attitude.
REDUCED VICARIOUS LIABILITY: Employees who handle encounters skillfully and professionally are less likely to generate
complaints and lawsuits. Employees trained in Verbal Judo will be able to describe their reasoning and explain their actions
according to professional principles.
This program is designed for employees whose duties require them to resolve tense confrontations peacefully and
safely. Verbal Judo is the top rated communication course in the country with over 600,000 graduates.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF VERBAL JUDO?
Verbal Judo teaches a philosophy of how to look creatively at conflict and then use specific strategies and tactics
to find peaceful resolutions. Verbal Judo teaches a means of creatively examining problems and reaching solutions while preserving
individual dignity and organizational integrity. Maintaining a "Professional Face" is crucial if employees are to remain under
emotional control during disagreements or conflicts and be able to effectively find solutions to these potentially violent
encounters. Performance must always be part of the professional process; it ensures true professionalism in all working environments:
with our peers, and supervisors, with other departments in our organization, and most importantly - with our primary contacts
Healthcare organizations can expect that once their staff are trained in Verbal Judo, they will know the following:
- How to use Words to achieve professional purposes and how to resist using language to express personal
feelings, thus controlling themselves inside so they can exert control on the outside.
- How to employ empathy and the art of "Representation" to become Contact Professionals, maintaining self-control
and staying in contact with the needs of the organization and their audience.
- How to effectively deliver words that are on target by first understanding the receiver's point of view, including the
"Five Step" approach to persuading difficult people.
- The art of "Translation" - to ensure that communication is on target and understood by the receiver.
- The art of "Mediation" - delivering words in the form of a personal appeal, in order to achieve voluntary compliance from
people who are under temporary emotional influences, ranging from uncertainty and confusion to anger, mistrust, and even prejudice.
- How to use the four appeals of persuasion and the twenty-four principles of street smarts.
- The five conditions where words fail and employees must move beyond verbal communication.
COURSE OBJECTIVES AND INTRODUCTION
There are five primary goals for teaching Verbal Judo: 1. - PERSONAL SAFETY, 2. - ENHANCED PROFESSIONALISM, 3. - LESS COMPLAINTS,
4. - LESS VICARIOUS LIABILITY and 5. - LESS PERSONAL STRESS. Employees are safer when they use their words to achieve a professional
purpose rather than express their personal feelings. The most dangerous weapon an Employee carries is the "Cocked Tongue."
He must use words as tools not weapons. Mind and mouth disharmony causes violence. Everything we teach in Verbal Judo can
markedly enhance the Healthcare Professionals ability to look good and sound good, as well as be good.
The way we do what we do is often the difference between success and failure. This "Art of Delivery" results in employees
generating fewer complaints and hence generating fewer lawsuits from their actions. Organizations trained in Verbal Judo have
seen reductions of up to 80% in complaints and an untold amount of dollars saved in lawsuits. All of this results in less
stress for the Employee and the Organization.
Toll Free: (877) 428-7492
© 1997 - 2002 Verbal Judo Institute, Inc.
Dr. George J. Thompson, President & Founder